An AWESOME day.
Why, do you ask? I shall tell you. It is March 15, 2012.
And what is so special about March 15th? I shall tell you.
March 15th is usually the 74th day of the year. This year, since it is a leap year, it is the 75th day, according to the Gregorian Calendar. The 15th of March is also known as the Ides of March on the Roman calendar. Here are but a few things that have occurred on March 15th:
- 44 BC – Julius Caesar, Dictator of the Roman Republic, is stabbed to death by Marcus Junius Brutus, Gaius Cassius Longinus, Decimus Junius Brutusand several other Roman senators on the Ides of March.
- 221 – Liu Bei, a Chinesewarlord and member of the Han royal house, declares himself emperor of Shu-Han and claims his legitimate succession to theHan Dynasty.
- 280 – Sun Hao of Eastern Wu surrenders to Sima Yan which began the Jin Dynasty.
- 351 – Constantius II elevates his cousin Gallus to Caesar, and puts him in charge of the Eastern part of the Roman Empire.
- 933 – After a ten-year truce, German King Henry I defeats a Hungarian army at the Battle of Riade near the Unstrut river.
- 1311 – Battle of Halmyros: The Catalan Company defeats Walter V of Brienne to take control of the Duchy of Athens, a Crusader state in Greece.
- 1493 – Christopher Columbus returns to Spain after his first trip to the Americas.
- 1514 – Jodocus Badius Ascensius publishes Christiern Pedersen’s Latin version of Saxo’s Gesta Danorum, the oldest known version of that work.
- 1545 – First meeting of the Council of Trent.
- 1564 – Mughal Emperor Akbar abolishes jizya (per capita tax) .
- 1672 – Charles II of England issues the Royal Declaration of Indulgence.
- 1781 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Guilford Courthouse – Near present-day Greensboro, North Carolina, 1,900 British troops under GeneralCharles Cornwallis defeat an American force numbering 4,400.
- 1783 – In an emotional speech in Newburgh, New York, George Washington asks his officers not to support the Newburgh Conspiracy. The plea is successful and the threatened coup d’état never takes place.
- 1820 – Maine becomes the 23rd U.S. state.
There are of course other things that happened, but I thought all of those were worthy of mention. Oh yeah. And I think it’s my bro’s payday.
But more importantly. This day is an awesome day because of this:
And I simply cannot find the words to articulate my excitement of this.